Count Johann VII of Nassau, 1561-1623, was a territorial lord. His statue, carved from tuff by Hermann Kuhmichel, can be found in the castle grounds between the Hain gate and the former youth hostel. Johann “the Middle” was founder of the Dynasty of Nassau-Siegen. He was an significant military reformer who initiated the first military academy on European soil. Among his sons he counted Prince Johann Moritz of Nassau-Siegen.